It’s summertime and that means it’s HOT which hopefully has naturally caused you to be more aware of your water intake. However, did you know that it’s super important for you to always be aware of your water intake even when it’s not hot outside? Knowing and following through with proper water intake is just as important for your health as eating healthy and exercise.
How to calculate your amount of water intake & how to know you are reaching it!
Calculating your water intake is pretty simple, knowing you are reaching it and maintaining it is the real goal. To calculate your water intake take your body weight and divide it in half, this is the minimum amount of ounces you would need to drink in a day. However, if you are active and sweating a lot you will need to drink more. Here are a few ways to tell if you are consuming enough water:
- You need to pee frequently.
- Your pee is light yellow in color.
Tips and tricks to reaching your water intake!
- Get a travel cup you love everything about! Seriously take into consideration if it will fit in a car cup holder if you like the way you drink out of it (Ex. if you like straws, does it have one?) does it have a lid, etc. This will help you in taking water everywhere you go.
- Drink water at the temperature you like. This sounds silly I know, but some people prefer room temp and others like it ice cold!
- Know how much water you need to drink, then make sure you know how many ounces your favorite cup from the first tips holds (see another reason to get a favorite cup)! Then do the math to see how many times you need to fill it up a day!
- Add a little flavor to your water by infusing it with yummy fresh fruits.
- Eat water-rich foods like watermelon and cucumber.
- Each time you take a bathroom break drink a cup of water.
- Download an app to help remind you to drink and track your intake.
How to know if you have exceeded your water intake! Yes, overhydrating is a thing.
- You are drinking even if you don’t feel thirsty.
- Your pee is totally clear.
- Peeing to often (10+ times a day), and during the night.
- If you are nauseous or vomiting.
Considering that water is necessary for almost every function of your body, here are some other benefits of drinking it!
- Staying hydrated keeps you focused and prevents headaches. After all, our brains are made of 65% water, so yep, that makes sense.
- Water gives you more energy. Really it does, when you’re tired it’s a sign your intake is low and heading to dehydration.
- You must have it for proper digestion, mineral absorption, and removal of waste out of your body.
- Going back to it being summer, water helps regulate your body temperature.
- Water hydrates your skin and keeps it looking young and beautiful.
- Water is a great aid to weight loss.
A healthy lifestyle is not complete without proper water intake. Hopefully, this article has helped you understand how important being properly hydrated is and how to effectively get there. So keep up the good hydration!